Addressing problems with veterinary certificates

The veterinary inspection services of Japan are used to closely examine your export-related documents used for shipping. Document failures are not accepted. The most effective way to avoid problems is to double check the accuracy and completeness of the documents accompanying the products and goods you are exporting to Japan.

In case of problems

If errors are found on a veterinary certificate issued for a shipment to Japan, or the original copy of a veterinary certificate has been lost on route to Japan, the Japanese authorities may instruct the importer or freight forwarder of the shipment to send a new certificate. In such cases, the Dutch exporter is advised to follow the following procedure:

  1. The exporter finds out how and by whom the errors were made, and reports the problem to the NVWA which is responsible for the issuance of the certificate.
  2. The exporter makes a request to the NVWA for the issuance of a new certificate which contains correct information.
  3. If the NVWA deems it appropriate, the NVWA issues a new certificate.
  4. The original new certificate must be sent to the Japanese Animal Quarantine Service (the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries) and/or the Japanese Quarantine Station (the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare) at the port of entry. The exporter should obtain contact details of the Japanese authorities from the importer or freight forwarder in Japan, such as name and address of the responsible official at the port of entry so that the new certificate can be sent to the intended.
  5. The Japanese authorities will make a final decision on whether or not the new certificate may be accepted.