Poland: new strategy rural development & agriculture adopted
The Council of Ministers of Poland adopted the "Strategy for Sustainable Rural Development, Agriculture and Fisheries 2030". By adopting the resolution, the Council of Ministers confirmed that the development of rural areas and agriculture is necessary to achieve sustainable development of the entire country and is a priority task for the entire government.
The "2030 Sustainable Rural Development, Agriculture and Fisheries Strategy" (SZRWRiR 2030) is the basic strategic document for the agricultural policy and rural development of the country. The document presents the objectives, directions of intervention and actions that should be taken in the perspective of 2030.
By adopting the resolution, the Council of Ministers confirmed that the development of rural areas and agriculture is necessary to achieve sustainable development of the entire country and is a priority task for the entire government.
SZRWRiR 2030 activities will be financed from national and external public funds, which include, among others funds from the EU budget for 2021-2027 (including, among others, the Common Agricultural Policy, cohesion policy, common fisheries policy and funds under the Horizon Europe program). Development funds for local government units and private funds will support the financing from the country level.
The adopted document will allow to address the scope of public interventions financed from national and Community funds in the new EU financial perspective 2021-2027 in a coherent and complementary way, which will play an important role in the programming process of EU funds implemented at the national and regional level.
The strategy presents an in-depth analysis of the possibilities of developing rural areas, agriculture and fisheries at a regional level, which allowed determining key directions for their development by 2030.
The planned activities until 2030 include:
- maintaining the principle that the basis of the agricultural system will be family farms;
- supporting the sustainable development of small, medium and large farms;
- greater than before utilization of the potential of the agri-food sector due to the development of new skills and competences of its employees, as well as by using the latest technologies in production and the use of digital solutions as well as creating conditions for creating innovative products;
- building a competitive position of Polish food on foreign markets, the hallmark of which will be high quality and reference to the best Polish traditions, as well as adaptation of agri-food products to changing consumption patterns (e.g. growing interest in organic food);
- agricultural and fishery production respecting the principles of environmental protection and adaptation of the agri-food sector to climate change, including in terms of water availability;
- dynamic development of rural areas in cooperation with cities, which will result in stable and balanced economic growth, ensuring that every village inhabitant has a decent job, and urban residents access to healthy Polish food;
- creating conditions for improving the occupational mobility of rural residents and taking advantage of their opportunities for development and changing qualifications resulting from the emergence of new sectors of the economy (e.g. bioeconomy) .
SZRWRiR 2030 will replace the current "Strategy for the sustainable development of rural areas, agriculture and fisheries" for 2012-2020. The resolution enters into force on the day following the date of announcement in the Polish Monitor.